24 June 2022

My Opinion About The Yoga Handstand Trend That's Viral On Tiktok – Cool Or Dangerous?

I feel happy because one of the Digital Media Companies in Indonesia – Detik.com – is still giving me the opportunity as a Yoga Instructor to provide and share information about Yoga, a Health Science that I have studied since 2007.

You can read the full article on detikHealth in the Indonesian Language:

One of the journalists at Detik.com – Vidya Pinandhita – contacted me to ask my opinion about the Yoga-style Handstand Movement Trend in Tiktok. Vidya shows a video uploaded by a Tiktok user which shows a person standing against a wall, then lifting and putting one of her legs to lean against the wall. Then the person rotates her body 90 degrees while still keeping one of her feet on the wall and placing her hands on the floor. Next, the person lifts the leg that was on the floor, so that her body rests on her two hands which are on the floor. This last pose – in the Yoga World – is called “Handstand”.

The information and reactions I gave to Vidya and Detik.com:

- Although the movements performed in the video are considered Yoga movements, especially since the hashtag #Yoga is included in the information describing the video, not all movements in the video are Yoga movements. The movement that was performed the first time was not a Yoga movement, while the next movement was a movement known by the Yoga World as the Handstand.
- The movement made at the beginning of the video – the rotating movement – is a dangerous move because it will cause injury.
- When the person twists her body by putting one foot on the wall, she will lose her balance which will result in an accident (fall, injury, broken knee, and others).
- I do not hate the video, but I would never want to teach such a dangerous movement. Why teach something that can harm others?
- I support the second movement in the video – the correct Yoga movement – called Handstand.
- Although the public thinks the video is the coolest, I think that, from a health point of view, there are dangerous movements that can irritate, damage, injure and break knees. This reduces the coolness of the video :-)
- My best advice: Practice Yoga first before making and uploading videos about Yoga, and give information to the viewers that the movements in the video are high-risk movements and require regular practice. Let's think about the consequences if the viewers of the video try to do the movement. If they are not good at it, they can get injured. Will the video creator take responsibility?
- For the Handstand position, I support because this position provides many benefits.
- In the Handstand position, when both hands support the body, the load on the legs will be reduced.
- The Handstand position can also accelerate blood circulation and give a good and healthy effect on the head, neck, and mind.
- The Handstand position educates us to train our hands and strengthen our hands.
- The Handstand position educates us not to always depend on the legs that work for life to stand, sit, move, and more. Once in a while, use our hands to support our body :-)
- The Handstand position will also facilitate blood circulation in the head and brain. So, this position is great for giving health to the neck, head, and mind.

Hopefully, all the information I provide can be useful for all of us.

I thank Detik.com and Vidya Pinandhita. Thank you for the trust and appreciation given to me and the Yoga Science that I have. Stay healthy and happy.

I also thank my Lord Jesus Christ. Thank you, my Lord Jesus Christ, for all the blessings, guidance, and protection You have given me. In the Name of Jesus.

#yoga #knee #lutut #handstand #pose #kepala #head #otak #brain #media #digital #detik #detikhealth #tiktok #tangan #hand #feet #kaki #video 

No comments:

Post a Comment