It is said that Chinese New Year was the moment when the people took revenge of the beast called Nian that ate people and children, using red paper, red clothes, red lanterns and firecrackers in front of their houses.
MY CHINESE NEW YEAR DINNER IN 2016 TO WELCOME THE FIRE MONKEY YEAR
|Prosperity Salmon Yu Sheng|
- The basic ingredients are first served. One of the family members proceeds to add ingredients such as the salmon, the crackers and the sauces while saying something about "auspicious wishes". The phrases of "May there be abundance year after year" are uttered as the salmon is added.
- The pomelo or lime is added to the salmon, adding good luck and smooth life.
- Pepper is then dashed over in the hope of attracting more wealth and treasures.
- Then oil is poured out, circling the ingredients and encouraging numerous sources of wealth.
- Carrots are added indicating blessings of good luck.
- Then the shredded green radish is placed symbolizing eternal youth and the shredded white radish is added symbolizing prosperity in business and promotion at work.
- Peanut crumbs are dusted on the dish, symbolizing a household filled with gold and silver.
- Sesame seeds quickly follow symbolizing prosperity for the business.
- Yu Sheng sauce is generously drizzled over everything that symbolizes sweet life.
- Deep-fried flour crisps in the shape of golden pillows is then added with wishes that the whole floor would be filled with gold.
The taste of Yu Sheng is so colorful. Salty, sweet, sour, savory, and fresh. This dish is a very perfect appetizer!
|Wok-Fried Beef Tenderloin Black Pepper Sauce|
|Braised Sea Cucumber with Spinach and Quail Egg|
Well, I find out that the taste is not as scary as it looks. The fish is tempting and appetizing. The unique spices in the dish (in Cantonese style) and the mushroom around the fish add more flavor to it. The brown sauce is very good. As a fan of fish, this dish is my perfect choice.
The fish is believed to symbolize surpluses. Yes, it gives surpluses to my belly too :-D
Deep Fried Crispy Lobster with Wheat Flake
|Deep Fried Crispy Lobster with Wheat Flake|
This is something that I don't want to miss. LOBSTER! It is cooked in such way that it tastes so crispy and marvelous. It is easy to bite and chew it. There is no need to eat this with rice, as it has wheat around it. The wheat gives a full volume to the dish.
Stir Fried Kailan with Bailing Mushroom Oyster Sauce & Grand Mercure Jakarta Kemayoran Fried Rice
|Stir Fried Kailan with Bailing Mushroom Oyster Sauce & Grand Mercure Jakarta Kemayoran Fried Rice|
The Grand Mercure Jakarta Kemayoran Fried Rice itself is a favorite meal in the hotel. It is a fried rice cooked in Chinese style with a bunch of seafood inside. It is a perfect companion for any dishes served in Chinese New Year Dinner.
The Mango Pudding with pieces of Strawberry, Lemon and White Chocolate is a good sweet to close the dinner. After all the savory and salty dishes, the sweetness in the pudding freshen up my mouth and my throat.
It is named Basket Cake because the original wrapper is made from a bamboo basket with a little hole in the middle. Nowadays, the wrapper is made from plastic too as it is more simple to get and can show the beauty color of the cake. The shape is round, symbolizing unity, peace and longevity.
If you eat just the Basket Cake without frying it, the taste is sweet and the texture is sticky. If you eat the Fried Basket Cake, the taste is a bit tasteful and the texture is crispy.
Overall, the Chinese New Year Dinner I attend is a lovely experience for me to welcome the year of Fire Monkey 2016! It is always good to learn about other people's tradition and understand about the meaning of the ceremony.
Along with many hopes and prayers implied during the lovely Chinese New Year Dinner, my wishes and prayers for everyone are:
May your wealth be acquired!